Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Excursion Day

So two weeks ago we had all of our programming canceled for the week, and squeezed into one day.
As part of this, we went to the "Kosher" restaurant, which Mounir, our director, had tried to make me excited about since the day we arrived in Tunisia.

When we got there I checked out the menu and noticed was that the restaurant served shrimp and octopus. When I informed Mounir that these are not kosher, he told me that the restaurant was kosher, and that he would have the owner explain. A few minutes later, he informed me that the meat was kosher, and that the restaurant specialized in Jewish specialties. I was surprised to find out that shrimp kebabs are a Jewish Tunisian specialty. The owner then came over to say hi, and informed me that the restaurant was not kosher, only the meat. I asked him why he bought kosher meat, since most people would not consider it kosher after being cooked in a non kosher kitchen. He informed me that they had a separate grill for the kosher meat.

While this theoretically seems somewhat reasonable, I know that there are probably no Tunisian Jews, let alone many Jews in the rest of the world, who do not eat non kosher meat but would eat at this restaurant. And of this small population, my guess is that almost none of them have visited Tunisia.

Its always good to know that some Tunisians had me in mind when creating their restaurants.

Mounir had pre ordered for us as he does for many meals: Fish and Couscous!

Also, we went to a book fair, and I got this cool brochure from the Saudi Arabian booth about how the trinity doesn't make sense.

No comments: