Monday, April 28, 2008

Strawberries and Bouillon

So not much has been going on. We have started our research project period, and I am in the stage where I have contacted everyone and now I'm just waiting to meet them. In the meantime there isn't much to do except make strawberry sorbet and chocolate strawberry brownies. (you can get 4lbs of strawberries for $2.50. I think i've mentioned before how cheap they are, but I'm still impressed)

On Friday I went with a few people to a Cameroonian cultural show. It was really cool, lots of different dances, and also a fashion show. Unfortunately I forgot my camera. They also had a few skits which were in French so I didn't understand them, but supposedly someone did a really good impression of the Cameroonian president.

Afterwards we went back to someone's house to get ready for the afterparty. It was kinda interesting to see how little connection the Cameroonian students seem to have to Tunisians. One of them almost kicked me out of the apartment because he thought I was Tunisian. I got to try Bouillon, which is beefskin stew that people from Cameroon supposedly eat when they are going to go drinking. Some searching on the internet lead me to believe that actually Bouillon refers to any kind of soup. It was kind of strange, and very spicy, and I ended up vomiting most of it up later. My friend had been warned that it would make her sick, but did not pass on this information.

I also got to try some Cameroonian whiskey which someone had brought to Tunisia.
You bite the pouch open and then pour it into your beer. And yes, it is called "Gold Bond" Whiskey.

No comments: